The Overlap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Overlap

For fans of the British progressive rock band Mr. So & So.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Davey
Mr. So & So
Mr. So & So
Davey

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-03-01

What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? Empty
PostSubject: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:06 am

I'm intrigued. Do you like the musicianship, the lyrics, the mood of the albums, our live shows?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrsoandso.com
HippyDave
Forum Blokey
Forum Blokey
HippyDave

Male Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:58 am

Davey wrote:
I'm intrigued. Do you like the musicianship, the lyrics, the mood of the albums, our live shows?

All of the above... Wink Yeah, that's not too helpful really, is it?!

Although I'm not a musician, I tend to notice musicianship first. That doesn't mean something has to be particularly "hummable", just that there is evidence of skill/technique and music that is well-crafted; music that flows well, that sucks you in. Once I feel something sounds good, lyrics are inevitably next under the microscope: I'm a sucker for a good lyric, and that's something that can make all the difference between a good band and an exceptional one.

That said, whilst the recorded material is obviously the chief basis on which I say I like or dislike something, it's frustrating if the band can't put it across live. I'm a compulsive gig-goer, and to my mind this is an area where you guys really shine. There's always a good vibe at So & So shows and it's evident you all really enjoy yourselves. I've never seen you play an average show, which I suspect is because you have fun on-stage.

Oh yeah, it doesn't hurt that you're a bit handy with the ol' axe, Dave... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://hippydave.livejournal.com
Boatman

Boatman

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:34 pm

I'll first answer this by listing an example of some of my favourite tracks, at least prior to the release of the latest album, these were: Coup de Grace, Bolton Eeny Noo, Tick A Box and The Visitor.

I love the music and the lyrics and espeically enjoy the experience of witnessing the band perform live, where the music really comes to life and ignites the senses.

I am really enjoying the new album SugarStealer because the imagination, muscianship and craftmanship that has created the songs, themes and lyrics, provides plenty to assimilate, discover and savour; it shows that the muse was with you all!

So, as soon as you can, please do some gigs!
Back to top Go down
Namallett

Namallett

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:59 am

For me its "the Sound", the mixture of keyboards, guitar and harmonised bass and of course strange key changes and time signatures Laughing
Back to top Go down
President Moseley

President Moseley

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:57 am

Not having a musical note in my body I wouldn't know a thing about song constructions etc etc but I know a decent sound when I hear one.
I particularly like the vocals of Miss Evans, a lot of my favourite bands seem to be the ones with good female singers just lately. I'm just re-visiting "Paraphernalia" at the moment and the difference is immense between the vocals, no offence to Shaun by any means. On recorded music I'm very comfortable with Mr. So & So, but the occasions when I've seen you open for Marillion, I feel that the songs are much better live than on record, more of a fuller sound.
Generally, it's the sound of the guitars that draw me into a bands music and Mr. So & So fall into that category, after the first time I saw you guys live I was interested enough to seek out your recorded stuff and glad I did, Overlap is my favourite, that is until I purchase sugarstealer I suppose.

Keep up the good work guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?   What is it about Mr. So & So that you like? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is it about Mr. So & So that you like?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Overlap :: Mr So & So :: Mr So & So-
Jump to: