The Overlap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Overlap

For fans of the British progressive rock band Mr. So & So.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Boatman

Boatman

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-06

The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" Empty
PostSubject: The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"   The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:51 pm

The album-title intrigued me, so I did some internet searches and discovered that what I used to know as a dandelion-clock, (the fluffy ball of seeds that float off to pollenate) is what is also referred to as a Sugarstealer, in some parts of Lancashire and Cheshire. The idea of calling it a dandelion-clock as I recall was that you blew the seeds and counted each occassion until they had all dispersed and that told supposedly told you the time. Certainly not as exciting as a Sugar Stealer!

I also found that Badly Drawn Boy had an album of the same title featuring a dandelion gone to seed.

So, what I would like to know is whether there was ever a local fairy-tale handed down from generation to generation about the Sugarstealers to amuse kids or whether it is just one of those mysteries that have been lost in time.

I would love to be able to read the lyrics of Sugar Stealer, is there plans to have the lyrics or selective songs, up on the site or available to download prior to the eventual CD release, (I have bought the download version which doesn't have lyrics but has a fascinating album-cover art ).
Back to top Go down
Davey
Mr. So & So
Mr. So & So
Davey

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"   The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 am

Since we released the album we have found out that the use of the word Sugarstealer for the Dandelion spores is something quite local to our neck of the woods (St. Helens, Widnes, Warrington, Wigan) but go beyond that and hardly anyone knows what it means. I'll leave Magoo to fill you in with the meaning of it on the album, but without giving too much away, it's all related to the concept, as is the artwork. If you look at the cover of Sugarstealer at Mr. So & So.com you can see that there are references to a lot of the songs on there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrsoandso.com
Namallett

Namallett

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"   The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Really odd that, I was dragged up in Warrington and never heard of it till now, must have been because I'm from south of the Mersey Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Davey
Mr. So & So
Mr. So & So
Davey

Male Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"   The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 am

This came up in conversation with some friends of mine from Bolton recently. I was really surprised when they acknowledged the term Sugarstealer as a dandelion spore. So far we have St. Helens, Wigan, Leigh & Bolton Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrsoandso.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"   The name of the new album "Sugarstealer" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The name of the new album "Sugarstealer"
Page 1 of 1